- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels (if using frozen, thaw)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, for frying
1. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, smoked paprika, baking powder, salt, pepper, buttermilk and egg. Cook’s Note: If the batter is too thick, add more buttermilk.
2. Add the avocado oil and butter to a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once foamy, add the garlic and green onions and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the corn and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the cooked vegetables into the batter mixture.
3. Wipe out the skillet and add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Once the skillet is hot, spoon out the batter in 1/4-cup scoops. Cook on each side until golden and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt.
Need a buttermilk substitute? Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a ½ cup of whole milk and stir.