This is a great french toast recipe to take advantage of the fresh local peaches
We have several pick your own peach orchards in the area. Carter Mountain and Grelen Nursery. Both offer excellent views of the blue ridge mountains.
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- 7 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ½ & ½ cream
- ¼ cup white peach puree
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 8 slices day old brioche, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- White Peach-Pecan Maple Syrup, recipe follows
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 4 peaches, pealed and diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup bourbon
1. Whisk together eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk, cream and peach puree and bourbon and whisk until combined. Place brioche in a large baking dish, pour custard over and turn to coat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter on a large girddle over high heat. Add 4 slices of the soaked bread and cook until golden brown, flip over and continue cooking until golden brown on the second side. Place 1 slice of the French toast on a plate, ladle some of the peach syrup on top. Top with a second slice of toast and ladle more of the peaches on top. Garnish with a mint sprig.
3. White Peach-Pecan Maple Syrup: Heat maple syrup over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add the peaches, pecans butter, and bourbon and let simmer for 10 minutes.