This healthy breakfast souffle takes a little while to prepare but is worth the effort. I have included healthy heart substitutions in the ( ). This is our most requested recipe at the Inn on Poplar Hill, I hope you enjoy it.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Milk (1 cup skim milk or soy milk)
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar (2 Tablespoons Agave Syrup)
- 4 eggs Separated (egg whites & 2 Tablespoons of low fat cream cheese as a substitute for the egg yolks)
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1/4 cup mix-ins, choose your favorite, dried blueberries, raisins, nuts what ever you have on hand
- pinch of cream of tarter – this is added to the egg whites before you beat them. It helps the egg whites to whip up nicely. If you don’t have don’t worry it can be omitted.
- Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Cook the oatmeal and milk stirring often until cooked. Remove from heat and stir in, 2 egg yolks, sugar, salt, orange oil, zest, and mix-ins.
- Cool thoroughly. – this step is very important, the oatmeal mixture must be cool before you fold in the egg yolks.
- Whip the egg whites with the pinch of cream of tarter until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold the stiff egg whites into the cooled oatmeal mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 4 buttered ramekins. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and browned.
- Serve immediately.
- To make this a bit more healthy heart, Replace the egg yolks with 2 Tablespoons of low fat cream cheese, and use skim or soy milk.